The People of St. Paul's Church & Woodhouse Eaves


There has been a church in Woodhouse since the 14th. century, 1338 to be exact. It was decided that Woodhouse Eaves should now have it’s own church. The Church was designed by William Railton, named St. Paul’s, and consecrated in 1837.

The church of St Paul is a granite building with a slate roof, constructed to the designs of William Railton in 1837 and extended by Ewan Christian in 1880.

The school was under the auspices of the Church of England (in this case St. Paul’s Church), with three trustees appointed:- Anna Christiana Watkinson of Woodhouse, Edward Basil Farnham of Quorn, and William Perry Herrick of Beaumanor Hall. They were empowered from time to time to appoint or dismiss such person to be master of the school and such person to be mistress of the school and such person or persons to be assistant or assistants in the school at such salaries and upon such terms in all respects as the trustees think fit.

The Vicar of St. Paul’s Church would also have a great deal of control over the running of the school. The National system of education was to be adopted, and the Liturgy and Catechism of the Established Church of England taught to the children.

Children, both male and female of the inhabitants of the township liberties or places of Woodhouse, Woodhouse Eaves, and Beaumanor. All children had to have been baptised by an Episcopally ordained clergyman, Scholars should be taken regularly every Sunday by the master or mistress to Divine Service at St. Mary’s Church in Woodhouse or St. Paul’s Church, Woodhouse Eaves unless satisfactory reason for non-attendance be given.

For more information, please follow this
LINK to the WWE History Group.

Stacks Image 14

The Revd. Arnold Hiley

The various Vicars were usually appointed as Managers, as it was officially a Church of England School.  They had a great deal of connection with the religious education of the pupils.  There are many mentions of visits by the various Vicars, and often by others from outside the Parish.  Sometimes, they were giving lessons to the pupils, at others they were visiting to see how they were progressing.


January 20th, 1880 
A scripture lesson given on ‘The Crucifixion’ 

May 9th, 1890   
Received the results of  the examination of Pupil Teachers in Religious Knowledge:-  Catherine Stubbs gained 1st. Class and  Prize. (Catherine eventually became a teacher at the school).  Francis E. Wainwright 1st. Class and Prize.



April 4th, 1891 
The Rev. Thomas S. Millington established a Savings Bank for scholars only.  About 40 children became depositors at once.


October 20th, 1893 
Many visitors today.  Rev. Thos. Millington, Rev. H. Hampson, Rev. A.J.W. Hiley, Mrs. Heygate, Mrs. Millington, and Mr.H.Humphreys.

February 14th, 1896  (St. Valentine’s Day) 
According to custom, the children were dismissed from school  this morning at 11.30 in order to be at Beaumanor at 12 to receive a penny each.  This afternoon the Rev. A.J.W. Hiley gave a halfpenny to every child who was at school.  The attendance improved wonderfully!

May 22nd, 1896 
The Rev. and Mrs. Hiley visited the school this afternoon to see the boys drill.

June 11th, 1897 
The school is closed this afternoon for a week for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.  The Rev. and Mrs. Hiley visited the school and presented the scholars with medals in commemoration of  H.M. The Queen’s sixtieth reign.      

August 29th, 1898 
The Rev. A.J.W. Hiley (our new Vicar) visited the school and  examined the library which need replenishing.  He complained to the caretaker  of the unsatisfactory condition of the school premises.

March 2nd, 1900 
Mrs. Hiley visited the school this afternoon to give the children a half-holiday in honour of the relief of Ladysmith.  The children were dismissed after heartily singing ‘Rule Britannia’ and the ‘National Anthem’.      

March 10th, 1902 
The Vicar opened school with prayers at 9 am.  A number of children who had not been absent during the last Quarter were given badges to wear on which is printed ‘Never Absent’.  To those absent only one day a badge with ‘Regular Attendance’ on was given. The children are proud of the distinction.

October 5th, 1903 
Instead of the usual scripture lesson, Mr. Palmer of the Band of Hope Union, gave an address to the whole school on ‘Water v. Alcohol’.

November 11th, 1904 
This afternoon, Mr. Palmer of the ‘Band of Hope Union’ returned to give and address to the children on alcohol for the last 25 minutes of school time. 

March 23rd, 1906 
We heard with sorrow today of the death of the Rev. Thomas S. Millington, who was Vicar of this Parish for 45 years.  Previous to his retirement about 8 years ago, he was a manager of this school, and a trustee to the time of his death.  The present generation owe a deep debt of gratitude to the work he did for the benefit of the school and Parish.

March 25th, 1906 
The Vicar read the prayers at the opening of the school this morning. Before leaving he spoke to the children of the recent death of the late Vicar of this Parish, and of the work he did in connection with this school and Parish, pointing out that this building was three times enlarged, and that the Master’s house and the Infant School were also built during the time that Mr. Millington was Vicar here.  Mr. Hiley asked the children to remember what Mr. Millington had done, and to emulate him in his energy to do good.  The funeral of the Rev. T.S. Millington took place at midday today in our church-yard.  The children stood in order on either side of the road as the funeral passed by.  A wreath was sent by the children and teachers of this school.

July 20th, 1911 
The Vicar and Mrs. Hiley visited the school to present Coronation medals to the children and teachers.

January 27th, 1913 
The Rev. J. Murray Dixon came to the classroom today where the boys were all at woodwork. He expressed his gratification to see the lads engaged in what he termed ‘something really useful and sensible’.

July 7th, 1926 
The Diocesan Inspector, Miss Robinson, arrived today.  Among other religious questions, the children in Class II were asked to write down texts which they could use ‘ To teach love to cannibals’.  The report does not give their answers…